Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mastodon's New Album: Still Kicking Ass

Let me to introduce myself: I'm a social disease. Well, not really, but I felt like a Megadeth reference was fitting here. The name is Sam Islam, and I am the new metal blogger for The Cypress Chronicle. I am more than joyful that I get to share the glorious world of heavy metal to the Cypress student body, whether you all like it or not. The world needs way more steel thunder in its atmosphere; a fistful of metal, if you will. It's only fitting that my inaugural post is an album review about one of the best metal acts on the scene today. So, let's get started, shall we?


When you hear the name Mastodon, you may have one of two reactions: one, you may be wondering why in the world a metalhead is blabbering on about some prehistoric elephant; or two, you can go with the second reaction of “OH MY GOD MASTODON!! GREATEST FREAKING METAL BAND OF THE 21ST CENTURY!” If you chose the second reaction, then you have won yourself a pat on the back; I am indeed penning down a review of the famous quartet's new album The Hunter. For some fans, albums like Blood Mountain and Leviathan were the albums that were held closer to the heart. Especially after the landmark release of Crack the Skye, fans of both the band and of heavy metal music were eagerly awaiting the arrival of their follow-up album to the aforementioned masterpiece. And as I sit here typing this up, I can tell you all this: it is a strong metal album, and it further supports my claim that Mastodon is the best modern metal band on the scene today.

So let's start off with the opening track and the first single from the album, “Black Tongue.” I have to say, it's not exactly my favorite off of the album. Sure the riffs are excellent (Bill Kelliher and Brent Hinds never seem to disappoint), but the bassist Troy Sanders's vocals sound strained, and the vocal melody as a whole isn't the best I have heard from the boys. Overall, it's an okay opening track. Now for the one-two punch: “Curl of the Burl.” Although it is the most mainstream track on the album, it is also one of the strongest songs I have heard from Mastodon. With riffs reminiscent of Queens of the Stone Age, an infectious groove, mean guitar lines, and a catchy vocal melody, the song just gets better and better with each listen. You will definitely find yourself singing along when the song plays on your music player or stereo. It's a more radio-friendly song, but it's a song that still has substance, and will  bring in new Mastodon fans by the masses. It is certainly one of my personal favorites, and I'm not one for catchy songs. The next song, “Blasteroid,” is a bit of a head scratcher. Though it is a good number, filled with Brann Dailor's godly drumming, awesome screeches, and strong guitar riffs, it is an overall chaotic song and verges on being a filler. I suspect that they will play it live though, just based on its insane energy. They have to get that crowd pumped!

“Stargasm” was a song I was looking forward to listening to since the track list was released months ago. I mean, who wouldn't want to listen to a song about having sex in space? The Mastodon boys did not disappoint. The song is laced with heavenly drum riffs and gorgeous guitar melodies. Such a powerful number, it blew me away from start to finish. Oh and did I mention Dailor's mind-blowing drumming? I can never get enough of this guy. This song makes you want to gaze through a telescope and gaze at the stars. . .and possibly have some fun while you're at it if you know what I mean. “Stargasm” is a song that if it isn't played live, I will personally be deeply insulted. It is one of the strongest tracks on the album. The next song, “Octopus Has No Friends,” caught me off guard with its odd, polka-like riffs. Its vocals are very industrial; they remind me a bit of some Japanese industrial bands that I have come across. The title is beyond random, but it fits the intricate guitar lines. “All the Heavy Lifting” is another strong track on the album, and it just made me fall in love with Dailor's drumming even more. The title track is a disappointment however; the guitar line sounds similar to Crack the Skye's title track (coincidence?), and the vocal line is very similar to the Mastodon classic “The Last Baron.” All that's missing is Scott Kelly's vocals, but he appears later on in the album. “Dry Bone Valley” is a welcome save from the previous track, with a sound that makes you feel like you are a part of a caravan trekking through the desert. The solos are fantastic and are the best part of the whole song.

The following track, “Thickening,” is a filler, sadly. Though I do enjoy the western rock feel of the whole song, it is not memorable at all. Why must I hear mediocrity from such an amazing metal band?! Thankfully, “Creature Lives” saved me from that irritation. The cackle and trippy synth intro draws you in immediately, and the ethereal tone of the whole song makes it one of the strongest tracks on the album. This song is something that is completely unusual for the Mastodon boys to record. However, the Genesis-like, proggy feel to the whole song is entirely welcome.

And, at last, the final three tracks. “Spectrelight” is a totally abrupt change from the previous track. It has a raw, aggressive feel to it, with endless amounts of energy. Hell, the middle guitar part is even reminiscent of Iron Maiden's style. The next track, the randomly-titled “Bedazzled Fingernails,” is a strange, country-esque song. The vocals are quite strong; in fact, the vocals are some of the strongest I have heard on the album. The guitar work is excellent, but it still verges on being a filler. And finally, we come to the ending track of The Hunter, “The Sparrow.” All in all, it was a really strange way to end such an overall heavy album. Sure, the guitars themselves still retain some dirt, but the vocals are oddly choral-like and floaty. It is a blatantly proggy track, and yet again seems to draw influences from Genesis and Pink Floyd. Oh yes, definitely Pink Floyd. I think this track is one that I'll have to listen to a few more times before I truly like it, or even have a clear opinion on it. It was just bizarre, for me at least.

So after my rambling analyses of these thirteen tracks, what conclusions could I draw from them? Well,  if you were paying attention, you would notice a pattern in my commentary. Generally, all the songs had good, strong, heavy guitar work, fantastic drumming, and vocals that were either great or blasé. Overall, this album is really strong. It is not nearly as amazing as Crack the Skye, but it is a strong album nonetheless. I highly recommend it to not only seasoned Mastodon fans, but to new, perhaps completely clueless Mastodon fans that are looking to sink their teeth into their discography. I am tired of hearing the elitists complain about how they went from being a good ole' fashioned sludge metal band to being a progressive metal machine. Guess what? STOP WHINING. This is a great album, and it is worth your money. It may not be their strongest work, but it is sure as hell ain't no St. Anger. Now shut up while I go listen to this piece of gold again.

No comments:

Post a Comment